Monday, January 14, 2013

Happy 2013

Today it is Monday, January 14th, 2013.  I had to look on my computer to figure out what the date was.  I have been so busy since the last day I wrote. 
That day, I got on an airplane and went back home to visit my family for the first time in 7 years.  7 years ago was when I had to bury my mother.  It has taken all of these years to be able to go home again and face the fact that she wouldn't be in her house waiting for me to walk through the door and call out to her to find out where she was in the house.  It was good to see the rest of my family though, even though it was a short stay. 
I have been pet sitting for the last 5 years to keep myself busy and not think about how much I miss my mom every day.  I love this path I have chosen for myself.  I only wish I could find a landlord who will let me board at home again.  I have a lot of clients waiting for me to be able to watch their pets at my home, because it is more convenient for them, and for me.  I loved having poochie woochies coming over for doggy daycare, and taking all of my charges for walks in Ragle Park on the long trails in the back.  I thought I was finally going to get to rent a place that would let me do this, but they wanted me to jump through hoops to prove I could afford to rent the place they had available.  I couldn't jump high enough, so I had to let the place go.
In the meantime, I was very busy pet sitting at people's homes.  These were long time clients who use me on a regular basis.  Two mommies had to get together to see if it would work out to share me, the nanny, for their boys.  They agreed to meet each other and let their boys meet.  It worked out, so I didn't have to miss out on caring for either one of them.    One mommy had been quicker than the other when it came to making reservations.  That's why I try to emphasize making reservations as soon as you know what your dates are.  I am glad it worked out for all of us.  I love both poochie woochies so much.  I didn't want to have to turn one down.
I was also busy watching kitty cats in another town for a week, and making dog walking visits back in Petaluma for a new poochie woochie named Diablo, so I was busy in Sebastopol, Santa Rosa, and Petaluma throughout the holidays.  After 21 days in a row and 4 or 5 houses I was running between, I pet sat for another favorite client this weekend.  She had thought I had gone out of business.  I assured her that I had not, so she let me watch her poochie woochie again.  I had missed her so much.  I brought her out to the cattle ranch to visit Rosie for the day.  They had missed each other a great deal.  They had a wonderful country walk together, and we all laid out in the sun, enjoying the warming rays.
We did manage to celebrate Christmas and New Year's through all of this traveling around.  Our little critters loved their toys.  Rosie got all kinds of animals with squeakers to destroy.  One had strings on it, but it had a tire at the end of it that squeaked, so I thought it would be ok to buy, but it wasn't.  Within a couple of minutes, Rosie had chewed through that rope, and shredded it all over the floor.  I think I have cautioned about buying any toy with these string ropes on them.  A dog like Rosie bites through them and the strings get caught in their teeth, and sometimes choking them.  I will not buy a toy with those string ropes again.   The kitties got all kinds of feathery things to bat at and a laser light to chase.  They need the exercise now that there are not many gophers, or mice to chase and kill outside. 
On New Year's Day we went out to Rodeo Beach, or what I have called Cronkite Beach before.  We started out having a nice day, but my poor Rosie got attacked by a Rotweiller puppy, and once he started attacking her, other dogs took on the pack mentality and started charging her, as well.  We were able to get everyone separated.  The guy who owned the rotweiller asked if Rosise was ok.   We thought she was until we got her home.  That's when we found a hole on her behind that should have had at least 2 stitches, but it was too late for stitches by the time we found the hole.  This is the second time my poor Rosie has been attacked for no reason.  People with aggressive dogs need to keep them on a leash at all times.  These experiences are making me more leary of strange dogs on the beach. 
I'm still working on the fish's present.  They need a bigger tank, but we don't have much room for one,so we are going to have to do some rearranging and then find just the right size.Speaking of fish, I don't know if I ever told the story of our Blue Eyes.  He is a shubunkin, which looks like a fancy gold fish with fancy colors and fancier tails and fins.  Well, we noticed that poor Blue Eyes was starting to get tumors all over his top fin.  We were worried that we were going to lose him soon.  But we had gotten some new fish in the tank.  They started nibbling on the tumors here and there.  One day we noticed that all of the tumors were gone, but also, something else happened to Blue Eyes.  He changed from being a very colorful fish to being all white.  I have a picture of him with all of his colors.  I will have to take a picture of him being all white, and then I will add the pictures to this post side by side.  It is amazing.  We are not sure what happened, but we are glad that Blue Eyes is still with us.  He is at least 6 years old now.
I hope all is well with you and your furry friends so far in this new year.  I am sorry I am not getitng the new place, but I won't give up.  Somewhere out there, there has to be someone who will rent to me.  Keep your good wishes and positive thoughts coming towards that goal.  It will happen.
Good Day for now.  Enjoy all of this beautiful sunshine, even if it is a little chilly.  I am a midwest girl, so i can take the cold.  This is nothing compared to what January is usually like back there.  I will take the 20's or 30's any day over -0 in the midwest in a normal January.
Happy New Year To You All and God Bless
Punkie and Rosie